Canberra, October 16, AZERTAC
Two men will be charged over the fatal shooting of a police accountant outside a Sydney police building two weeks ago as investigators continue to probe an extremist network with members as young as 12, officials said in Thursday, according to ABC NEWS.
An urgent national meeting of federal and state law enforcement officials convened by Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull in the national capital Canberra on Thursday to counter violent extremism following the October 2 shooting of accountant Curtis Cheng by 15-year-old Farhad Jabar. Iranian-born Jabar was later shot dead by police.
A 22 year-old man was expected to appear in a Sydney court on Friday on charges including supplying the revolver used, police said in a statement.
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin said Australia's terrorist threat had evolved and become younger over the past year.
"We're shocked that a 12-year-old is on police radar for these types of matters," Colvin told Australian Broadcasting Corp. television.
The government announced this week that it will legislate to reduce the age of suspects that can be subjected to such control orders from 16 to 14 years.
Colvin declined to comment on the ABC's allegation that the group had been attempting to source a gun as early as March.
Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Counterterrorism Michael Keenan said he was "deeply worried" that children as young as 12 were being radicalized.
© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.