WORLD


Boy, 17, charged over the bomb threats made on social media that caused Sydney's Opera House to be evacuated

A+ A

Baku, January 19, AZERTAC

A teenager has been charged after a series of alleged social media bomb threats caused the evacuation of the Sydney Opera House last week, according to The Daily Mail.

On Thursday the iconic landmark was evacuated and the surrounding area searched, as was the ferry wharf in Manly with services between the two points cancelled.

A 17-year-old boy was charged on Monday with 'false representation resulting in a police investigation,' NSW Police said.

'About 10.50am on Thursday (14 January 2016), a threat was received via social media which resulted in police from Sydney City Local Area Command being notified,' police said.

'The Opera House was evacuated and the surrounding area searched. Police also attended Manly ferry wharf after receiving information those responsible for the threats may have been on a ferry.'

'Searches of both locations were concluded with nothing of interest located,' they added.

NSW Police confirmed after the operation last week that 'information on social media' led to the large scale investigations near Sydney's city and the Northern Beaches.

'Following information on social media, police conducted an operation in the vicinity of the Opera House and Manly as a precautionary measure.'

Ferry services between Manly and Circular Quay were halted for the duration of the operation as a safety precaution.

By the afternoon the area had been reopened and services in and out of the tourist hot-spot had resumed.

The teenager will appear at a children's court in February.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

FEEDBACK

Fields with * are required.

Please enter the letters as they are shown in the image above.
Letters are not case-sensitive.