WORLD


Brussels on high alert after bomb scare at shopping centre

A+ A

Baku, June 21, AZERTAC

Brussels was hit with a major security scare on Tuesday after a man wearing a fake suicide belt rang the police, according to The Telegraph.

The man was arrested near the City 2 shopping centre at dawn after reports he was acting suspiciously.

Images obtained by Le Soir show a device constructed from foil packages, mobile phones and brown tape.

The man was said to be unwell. Belgium remains on a high state of alert after Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant-claimed bomb attacks in March left 32 dead at the airport and on the metro.

"The situation is for now under control. We remain vigilant," Prime Minister Charles Michel said after an emergency meeting of his security cabinet. He cancelled a scheduled radio interview.

A bomb squad team was immediately deployed at the shopping centre, one of the main retail hubs of the Belgian capital.

"No bomb has so far been found. The suicide vest found on a suspect was fake," the Brussels prosecutors office said.

Only one exit remained open at the nearby Rogier metro station, where soldiers checked passengers bags and belongings.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

FEEDBACK

Fields with * are required.

Please enter the letters as they are shown in the image above.
Letters are not case-sensitive.