WORLD


China officials fired for Typhoon Nepartak response

A+ A

Baku, July 18, AZERTAC

Three Chinese officials have been sacked for their "inadequate response" to a deadly typhoon, state media has reported.

Typhoon Nepartak had weakened to a tropical storm when it hit eastern Fujian province last week, but still killed at least 83 people, according to the BBC.

Thousands of homes were destroyed in the provincial capital Fuzhou, said the Xinhua news agency.

The officials were from worst-hit Minqing County, where 73 died, it said.

The county's deputy party chief and acting head was fired, along with two other officials.

The typhoon also badly affected Taiwan, killing three people and forcing the evacuation of thousands more.

The south of China is experiencing severe flooding, following weeks of rain. At least 230 people have been killed and dozens remain missing.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

FEEDBACK

Fields with * are required.

Please enter the letters as they are shown in the image above.
Letters are not case-sensitive.