Baku, November 13, AZERTAC
Dozens of people have been killed in Lebanon's worst terrorist attack this year after a double suicide bombing in south Beirut upended a fragile peace, according to The Guardian.
The health ministry said 43 people had died and 239 had been wounded in the twin blasts on Thursday, which targeted the Shia-majority district of Burj al-Barajneh. It was the first major suicide bombing to strike the country since a similar attack in January that targeted an Alawite area in the northern city of Tripoli. The number of casualties is likely to rise due to the severity of the attack.
The terrorist group Islamic State (Isis) claimed responsibility for the attack on social media, saying the first bomber had parked an explosives-laden motorcycle in the neighbourhood and a second bomber detonated his suicide vest in the gathering that arrived after the first attack.
Lebanon's prime minister, Tammam Salam, said: "We condemn this cowardly criminal act that can never be justified, and we call on the Lebanese to be more watchful and united against strife."
The government declared Friday a day of national mourning and the education minister ordered all schools and universities in the country to close.
© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.