Baku, September 23, AZERTAC
The damage from August's devastating earthquake in central Italy will amount to at least three to four billion euros, Civil Protection Fabrizio Curcio told a press conference a month after the disaster killed 297 people, according to ANSA.
"The damage will not be less than three or four billion euros, a ball-park figure. I fear it will not be lower," he said. Premier Matteo Renzi told the same news conference that Curcio was being "prudent" and that the damage will not be under four billion euros. "The earthquake did not just strike in the areas where it claimed victims," Renzi said.
"It also created mayor damage in other areas". Curcio added that the construction of wooden homes for people made homeless by the quake "will take seven months at the most". Curcio said of the 3,000 displaced by the quake, 2,500 are currently living in temporary tent shelters.
"Our priority is to close the tent camps and this weekend there will be a significant reduction," he said.
Renzi said the country will rebuild the towns devastated by last month's earthquake in central Italy "as they were before, and more beautiful than before".