WORLD


Russia says plane in Egypt's Sinai brought down by bomb

A+ A

Baku, November 17, AZERTAC 

The Russian intelligence service says that a Metrojet airliner that went down over Egypt's Sinai peninsula in October was brought down by a bomb, according to Al Jazeera.

The Russian Security Service (FSB) said on Tuesday that traces of explosives were found among the debris, after weeks of speculation about what had caused the crash.

The state-owned Sputnik News website quoted the FSB's chief Alexander Bortnikov as saying the plane had "definitely" been downed intentionally.

"We can definitely say this was a terrorist attack," Bortnikov is reported to have said, adding that 1kg of a TNT equivalent had been used to blow up the Airbus A321 travelling for Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg in Russia.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

FEEDBACK

Fields with * are required.

Please enter the letters as they are shown in the image above.
Letters are not case-sensitive.