WORLD


Turkish security forces kill 23 PKK terrorists in southeast

A+ A

Baku, December 17, AZERTAC

Security forces killed at least 23 PKK terrorists in ongoing anti-terror operations in Turkey's southeastern Şırnak province within the last 48 hours, a security official told Anadolu Agency.

The security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Anadolu Agency that security forces had killed 22 PKK terrorists in Cizre district and another in Silopi district.

Şırnak Governor Ali Ihsan Su told Anadolu Agency that the operations were ongoing in two districts of Şırnak province.

"Curfew will continue for the security of life and property of our citizens," said Su.

Su announced a new curfew in Cizre and Silopi districts Monday. Many citizens have reportedly left the district before the curfew was imposed.

The PKK - considered a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU - resumed its armed campaign in late July. Since then more than 200 members of the security forces have been martyred and around 1,700 PKK terrorists killed.

The terrorist organization indiscriminately targets hospitals and medical staff, as well as schools, Quran courses and has recently killed children.

Two schools in the Sur district of Diyarbakır were burned by hand-made explosives by the PKK on December 8.

On September 14 in Cizre, a Quran course building was also targeted with rifles by terrorists, causing the building to be evacuated.

Previously on October 8, Hasan Yılmaz, 9, was killed and three children whose ages ranged from six to 10, were injured in Silvan, Diyarbakır, as a mortar left by PKK terrorists exploded.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

FEEDBACK

Fields with * are required.

Please enter the letters as they are shown in the image above.
Letters are not case-sensitive.