The “Azerbaijan Soviet Encyclopedia” issued in 1976-1987 was the first universal fundamental work in the history of Azerbaijan covering all spheres of knowledge and information. Publishing of this ten-volume encyclopedia compiled with involvement of great scientific potential, became an important event in scientific and cultural life of Azerbaijan.
After restoration of Azerbaijan’s independence there arose a need for compiling and issuing new encyclopedia in Latin script, which would meet the requirements of the new era and fairly reflect important socio-political, historical, scientific and cultural events taken place in the life of our people.
For the purpose of insuring the implementation of this important action of the state significance, I hereby order:
1. Multi-volume Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia shall be issued in 2004-2008.
2. Publishing house “Azerbaijan Ensiklopediyasi” shall be transferred under management of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences.
3. President of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences Mahmud Kerim oglu Kerimov shall be appointed Editor-in-chief of the Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia.
4. The Editor-in-chief of the Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia shall
- within one month submit the composition of editorial board to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- within two months, draw up and submit the budget for preparation and issuing the encyclopedia to the Cabinet of Ministers
- within three months, ensure compiling and putting of the draft glossary of the Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia to wide discussion;
- ensure jointly with the editorial board high-level preparation of the Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia for printing;
- ensure compiling and issuing in Latin script the first volume of the Encyclopedia under the “Azerbaijan Republic”, and dissemination of its text by means of electronic mediums and Internet;
- inform the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan on the course of the work at compiling of the Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia on a regular manner;
5. Executive bodies, all scientific organizations and creative unions shall be recommended to be involved in the preparation of the Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia for printing;
6. The Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan shall solve the questions resulted from the present Executive Order.
7. The present Executive Order comes into effect from the day of signing.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
The city of Baku, January 12, 2004
© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.