Single Azerbaijan-Turkey policy brings real results
Interview with chief of the department for socio-political affairs at the Azerbaijani President`s Administration Ali Hasanov
Baku, April 25 (AZERTAC). - All Armenians in the world mark on April 24 the 99th anniversary of the fictitious “Armenian genocide”, which was ostensibly committed in the early 20th century. Many believe that no matter how much Armenians expand their propaganda campaign based on lies, it has already lost its momentum. What do you think of it? As a whole, we are wondering about the roots of these allegations on “genocide.”
- Indeed, the leadership of Armenia and the Armenian Diaspora, which sought to make the world accept this myth for so many years, attempted this year to step up this campaign aimed at distorting the historical truth and essence of those events that took place in the Ottoman Empire during the World War I. The reason is that the world Armenians are gearing to mark the 100th anniversary of the fictitious “genocide” next year, and the present campaign may be evaluated as preparation for “jubilee events”. But those who approach to this issue in the historical context rather than the political one do not doubt that it is about full-scale falsification since historical facts and realities prove that it were Armenians who have portrayed themselves for decades as the “people who suffered from genocide”, that in reality committed atrocities against the Turkish and Azerbaijan peoples. All the historical documents prove that it is the crackdown on the armed riot sparked by the citizens of the Armenian nationalists against their state that lies behind those events during the World War I rather than the policy of genocide against the Armenian people. Taking advantage of the Turkish army’s deployment on the frontline, the Armenian gangs destroyed hundreds of Turkish villages, exterminated hundreds of thousands of civilians – old men, women and children. To stop this massacre, the Ottoman state relocated to other lands of the empire the Armenian population, who used to live in the territories close to the frontline and weaken positions of the Turkish army through provocations and sabotage. I want to underline that the Armenian people who lived far from the frontline were not relocated. This fact proves that such allegations of the genocide committed on the state level are unfounded. Today, the world Armenians are cautious that the historical truth will be revealed and that is why rejects Turkey`s proposals on the opening of archives and conducing joint historical researches.
Today, it is impossible to conceal the truth about who committed the real genocide not mythical. The fact of the matter is that the Turkish and Azerbaijani population both in the Ottoman Empire and Azerbaijan suffered from the real genocide.
- Can you say that after Azerbaijan’s regaining and strengthening its independence, the policy of the Armenian Diaspora and Armenian lobby, which for the decades has aimed at falsifying the history, weakened and collapsed?
- Yes, absolutely right. For many years, Turkey had to resist this falsification policy on its own. They managed to organize an effective resistance. It was, first of all, associated with the lack of the organized diaspora abroad, which could seriously affect political processes and the fact that Armenians regarded diaspora building as the priority. Besides, Turkey did not pay serious importance to the Armenian propaganda based on lies. Today, the leadership of Turkey has taken a completely different stand on this problem and deeply analyzes possible consequences and undertakes necessary steps. On the other hand, Turkey is not alone today. It has such an alley as Azerbaijan, which solidified its positions in the region and implements an active foreign policy and is capable of actively influencing the processes thanks to the organized diaspora organizations abroad. As you know, Azerbaijan contributed much on an official level and with the help of the diaspora organizations to the fact that the law criminalizing the denial of the “genocide” passed a couple of years ago by the parliament of France lost its validity. It once more showed that the single policy of Azerbaijan and Turkey in this direction produces real results.
- Taking into account that the real genocide was committed not by Turks but by Armenians against Turks and Azerbaijanis, what real steps does Azerbaijan take to spread this historical truth?
- It is the policy of Azerbaijan in this direction that helps to create some idea about the real events. This fact is that as a result of this deliberate genocide committed for the second century by Armenians who pursue the goal of seizing lands that historically belonged to Azerbaijanis, thousands of our towns were destroyed, hundreds of thousands of our compatriots were brutally killed. Hundreds of Azerbaijani villages in Baku, Ganja, Shusha, Jabrail, Shamakha, Guba, Karabakh, Nakhchivan and other regions were wiped off from the face of the earth, tens of thousands of civilians were killed and monuments were destructed in 1918-1920 and 1905-1906.
This policy of genocide continued in the middle of the 20th century too but in some other form – as mass deportations. In 1948-1953, tens of thousands of Azerbaijanis were relocated from their native lands from the Armenian SSR.
Importunely, the policy of ethnic purge and genocide gradually and consistently pursued by Armenians since the early 20th century is continued today. During the new stage of genocide, which began on 1988, 20 percent of Azerbaijani lands were occupied, one million people were displaced from their homes, tens of thousands of Azerbaijanis were killed. One of the most terrible acts of genocide of the 20th century was committed on February 26, 1992 in the town of Khojaly where 613 civilians were brutally killed.
For many years, we faced difficulties in raising the world community’s awareness about this grave truth. After the return of national leader Heydar Aliyev to power, Azerbaijan managed to break the information blockade and today we are capable of bringing our word to the notice of the world. In accordance with President Heydar Aliyev`s order of March 26, 1998, 31 March is marked annually in Azerbaijan at the state level as the Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis. Today, Azerbaijan chose the offensive policy on the basis of the diplomatic conception put forward by President Ilham Aliyev, pursues the deliberate policy in order to educate the world community both about the truths on the events that took place in 1915 in the Ottoman Empire and acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis continued for the past two centuries and can be regarded as an outrage on humanity.
- What must be done to make steps in this direction more effective?
- As I already noted, Azerbaijan continues to take effective steps at both official and unofficial levels, integrated measures are being undertaken both within the country and abroad in order to expose Armenian propaganda based on lies and prevent history falsification. Measures put in place by the Azerbaijani government, Heydar Aliyev Foundation, in particular, as part of the Foundation`s Vice-President Leyla Aliyeva-initiated Justice for Khojaly Campaign, produce serious effects. Our diaspora organizations, Azerbaijani students studying abroad make their contribution too. Protest rallies, remembrance ceremonies, international conferences, exhibitions and other events dealing with the genocide of Azerbaijanis are organized as a result of concerted efforts. For the past five years, over 1000 events related to the Khojaly genocide have been held in 50 countries. Seven countries and over 10 US states recognized Khojaly atrocity as an act of genocide.
Real results of the work done in this direction, the successes achieved are obvious. We have to note that many countries influenced by the Armenian diaspora and lobby continue to turn a blind eye on the historical facts, reality and truth, and consider historical falsification as truth. That is why Azerbaijan will continue to take an active and resolute position in this direction. We will continue the offensive tactics in order to neutralize the hostile propaganda of Armenia and Armenian lobby based on lies. We are confident that political and legal evaluation of the acts of barbarism, terror and genocide is of great importance for preventing both Azerbaijan and the whole humanity from suffering such tragedies in the future.