Restoration of the Latin script Azerbaijani alphabet as one of the reforms the independent Republic of Azerbaijan has been carrying out in various spheres of life, has a historical significance. Decrees of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev of June 18 2001 “On Improvement of Application of the State Azerbaijani Language” and of August 9 2001 “On Marking the Day of Azerbaijani Alphabet and Azerbaijani Language” became an important event in socio-political life of the country and entirely ensured transition to Latin script Azerbaijani alphabet. Today, the Azerbaijani alphabet with Latin script has its solid place in all spheres of our life. At the same time, mass reissuing in Latin script the valuable patterns of Azerbaijani literature, culture and science once printed in Cyrillic, remains as one of the most important issues of the agenda.
Taking into consideration the need for mass reissuing in Latin script Azerbaijani language the works printed before in Cyrillic, and to ensure further increasing State’s concern for the native language, one of the most important symbols of the state independence, propaganda at the modern stage of the beautiful patterns the Azerbaijani literature, culture and science and handing them down to the future generations, I hereby order:
1. The list of works to be published in Latin script at the initial stage in 2004 shall be approved (the list is attached).
2. The Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan shall ensure allocation in 2004 of necessary funds for all popular libraries and those under high schools to acquire books republished in Latin script.
3. Executive Office of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan shall be assigned to
- compile within one month jointly with the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Union of Writers of Azerbaijan and Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences the list of works subject to republishing in Latin script in 2005-2008, and submit it to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan for an approval;
- draw up jointly with the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan and financial structures of the Republic the appropriate schedule and ensure issuing books which are subject to republishing in Latin script;
- ensure jointly with relevant structures of the Republic of Azerbaijan dissemination the texts subject to republishing in Latin script by means of electronic mediums and the Internet, and creation of “Virtual Library of Azerbaijani Literature” in Latin script.
4. The present Executive Order comes into effect from the day of signing
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
The city of Baku, January 12, 2004
© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.