SPORTS


US Grand Prix boss: Colton Herta’s ‘final F1 chapter’ not yet written

Baku, September 27, AZERTAC

Bobby Epstein, chairman of the Circuit of The Americas, thinks Colton Herta still has a chance of making it to Formula 1 even if he is unable to get on the grid in 2023, according to planetf1.com.

The IndyCar driver’s name had been linked with a move to AlphaTauri to partner Yuki Tsunoda next season, which would pave a way for Pierre Gasly to move to Alpine in the process, but the FIA have confirmed he does not meet the Super Licence requirements needed for him to race in Formula 1 next season, holding 32 of the 40 points required.

This has shut the door on Herta’s Formula 1 prospects for now, but he had said previously he did not want to appear in Formula 1 as an “exception” to the rules in place, with former World Champion Mario Andretti telling PlanetF1 about his hopes to see IndyCar better rewarded in the points system to begin with.

“I don’t think the final chapter has been written on that story yet,” Epstein said to The Race in an interview.

“So I hope we see him in Formula 1 in the future, even though it may not be next year.

“I’d love to see him on the grid, especially in a team that’s competitive. That’s equally important.”

The news of Herta not being approved was met with heavy criticism from within the IndyCar circle, with former F1 driver Alexander Rossi claiming “past decisions based on greed” had prevented the 22-year-old from making the switch.

Epstein explained having another American driver in Formula 1 would naturally increase the level of interest in the sport Stateside, but that would only be sustained if Herta found himself in a position to be able to compete high up the field.

 

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.
Report a mistake by marking it and pressing ctrl + enter

FEEDBACK

Fields with * are required.

Please enter the letters as they are shown in the image above.
Letters are not case-sensitive.