Withdrawal of Armenian troops from Nagorno-Karabakh long overdue, German MP
Baku, February 2 (AZERTAC). Bundestag member, State Secretary in the Ministry for Environment, Nature Protection and Nuclear Security Katherina Reiche has said the withdrawal of the Armenian troops from Azerbaijan`s Nagorno-Karabakh region is long overdue.
She responded to a question from the European Azerbaijan Society on Armenia's illegal plans concerning the Khojaly airport.
Reiche said this had been repeatedly demanded by the United Nations Security Council which adopted several relevant resolutions.
"Germany and the European Union share a common view on this issue too.”
Reiche said that during the so-called presidential elections in Nagorno-Karabakh on July 19, 2012 Catherine Ashton, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security openly announced that the elections had not been recognized by the European Union.
She said Germany's position on the issue was clear.
Reiche noted Nagorno-Karabakh was an integral part of the Republic of Azerbaijan, adding that the occupation had to end.
“With the end of occupation new prospects will arise for refugees. We are working closely with Azerbaijan in order to establish stability and security in the South Caucasus," the German MP said.
“The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh is the biggest challenge there. A peaceful settlement would give a positive impetus to the economies and societies of the whole region.”
"A peaceful resolution is in the interests of all nations in the region. Cooperation within the international community on the peace process is especially important for Germany. The United Nations, European Union and OSCE have followed the process of searching for a peaceful solution for a very long time. Setbacks on the road to peace must be avoided. However, the Armenian Government is doing just the opposite if it plans to reopen Khojaly airport in the occupied region of Nagorno-Karabakh. That would violate the integrity of Azerbaijani airspace," Reiche said.